New artist for Nightmares & Fairy Tales: Annabelle’s Story

Posted by on Apr 27, 2012 in Journal | 12 Comments

I’m very pleased to announce Pablo Santander will be illustrating Nightmares & Fairy Tales: Annabelle’s Story!

As some of you might know, Pablo is also illustrating my graphic novel, Hell’s Cafe. He has been illustrating comics since 1983 and has been published in Chile and Belgium where he has won awards for both his comic illustration and paintings.

Annabelle’s Story features Gwen who is now a young woman struggling for her independence while learning to except help from those who wish to protect her from recklessly flying into dangerous situations. She, Aunt Bea and Annabelle decide to venture off to find Morgan, a young woman who has been locked away in an asylum for many years for murders she did not commit, and on their journey they learn about Annabelle’s creator and Aunt Bea’s dark past.

Here are the concept sketches of some of characters appearing in Annabelle’s Story. I’ve actually been agonizing over whether or not to post them. I hadn’t originally intended to let our readers know I was bringing back these characters for this story – however there are so many other surprises in this storyline, (like Annabelle’s origins) I figured it wouldn’t hurt, that and I am really excited to share these beautiful character sketches with you…

Gwen & Aunt Bea

Red Riding Hood

Kira and Paige

1140 Rue Royale

Beauty & the Beast

Bunny & Oberon

1. Jc Crocell
    December 31, 2013

it looks great, but sincerely i think it would be great if you can go back with FSc

January 1, 2014

I love FSc, she’s a fantastic artist – however, I feel Pablo’s style is better suited to this story. Trust me.

• Jc Crocell
        January 4, 2014

you’re the Boss , cant wait for New Nightmares & Fairy Tales

2. Shimra Fine
    January 27, 2014

So I got Annabelle’s Story part one awhile back, and that was illustrated by FSc so I have two questions. 1. Is Pablo just illustrating the rest of the story? Or am I completely lost?
    2. I have only been able to get my hands on part one. Are any other parts of the series out yet? And if so how can I get my hands on them? If not, when are they coming out?
    I love your work and have been waiting with much anticipation 🙂

3. Serena
    January 28, 2014

Yes. FSc illustrated Annabelle’s Story #1. Shortly after she got a hand injury and could no longer illustrate the series. I’ve since decided to go with another artist who will illustrate the entire story from the beginning, including issue #1. Sorry it has taken us so long to get back on track, but it looks like Pablo and I will be self publishing, so that means we’ll more than likely do a kick starter so we can get this graphic novel out to our readers in a timely fashion. I will be sure to post the info here when the time comes so you can secure your copy! Hope that clears things up 🙂

• Shimra Fine
      January 31, 2014

It most certainly does. No need to apologize. I am just excited that you’ll be putting them out again. I love the stories. They are just so great and I will gladly repurchase a first issue and will gladly donate once kickstarter is up and running! Good luck!! We need more stories like this out there.

4. Kayla
    March 10, 2015

I am really hoping this will be coming out soon. I adore this series.

5. Mike
    May 19, 2015

I wonder often silently to myself if this story has fallen by the wayside, never to be seen again. I now wonder aloud if it will be rebirthed and given new life in the near future so that I may recapture the love I’ve felt for your work throughout the long and otherwise boring years of my youth.

I will wait as I have waited, patiently, and with hope.

May 20, 2015

I wonder the same thing sometimes. It’s my intention to start this series again with Annabelle’s Story, it’s just that doing it independently without a publisher takes times and money. We will be creating a crowdfunding campaign to see if there is interest with our readers and if it’s funded it will become a priority. We will need to collect enough funding to cover the artist’s page rate as well as other production costs. I know Nightmares & Fairy Tales still has a lot of fans even after all these years so I hope they come together and help bring this new chapter into reality. I plan to launch the campaign after the GloomCookie hardcover campaign. It’s my hope in fact that we generate enough money from GloomCookie so I can start paying Pablo a page rate to start working on Annabelle’s Story. The holdup with the GloomCookie campaign has set everything behind, but hopefully soon we will be back on tack – and I will be sure to let everyone know once we are.

• Kayla
        September 2, 2015

I sincerely hope this happens. I absolutely adore this series.

6. Richard
    January 11, 2016

I know this post is old and you, Miss Valentino is currently busy with other immediate projects but know not to neglect this project since call me Old Conservative but this is the only project of yours that I follow up on despite the other popularity with GloomCookie and others. (Maybe I’ll look them up later)
    If you are need of money for this particular project and not just time, you could always test the waters and put up a pledge drive on either Kickstarter or Indiegogo (though other fans may have already suggested it and you are busy) I would have done Patreon but couldn’t do it constantly, not right now.
    Even if it has already been done, just putting it on writing. Do it for Annabelle as well.
    Thanks for reading.

March 5, 2016

Thank you! I would love nothing more than to put more energy into Nightmares & Fairy Tales. It happens to be my favorite as well. And I do intend to do a crowdfunding campaign right after I launch and fulfill the GloomCookie hardcover campaign. (which we are very close to launching.) Stay tuned. Please. I promise one day I will put out Annabelle’s Story.